Solusi University, located 50 kilometres west of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, is a co-educational institution, which was founded in 1894 as one of the first of the hundreds of Seventh-day Adventist mission stations. It was named after Chief Soluswe, near whose home the Mission was founded.
During the first decade of its existence, Solusi Mission shared in the suffering brought to the region by war and a resulting famine. Despite these hardships, the development of the Mission continued and a regional training programme was established for the development of church workers. Men who trained at Solusi Mission assisted in the development of new mission stations on other parts of, by then, Southern Rhodesia; and several of them reached beyond the borders of the country to help establish mission schools in neighboring countries as early as 1905.
With a growing demand for church workers, Solusi Mission continued to expand, and by 1929 a government approved teacher-training programme had begun. To meet the need for higher academic training, secondary school training was begun in 1948, and in 1952, the teacher-training programme was moved to Lower Gwelo (Gweru) Mission to make room at Solusi for the expanding academic programme.
On October 31, 1956, the Board of Regents of the General Conference of Seventh-day-Adventists authorized the upgrading of Solusi to senior college status. By 1958, Solusi College was offering post-secondary course leading to Bachelor’s Degrees so that church workers throughout Southern and Central Africa would be more fully qualified to meet the leadership challenges of an increasingly sophisticated and more highly educated church membership. To enhance the quality of the programme and to facilitate acceptance for postgraduate studies at international universities, negotiations were promptly begun to achieve affiliation with a fully accredited Seventh-day Adventist university in the United States of America (USA).
By October 1984 approval for an affiliation with Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan had been granted by the Solusi College Board of Trustees, the Andrews University Board of Trustees, the Board of Regents of the General Conference of Seventh-day-Adventists, the Board of Higher Education of Seventh-day Adventists and the regional accrediting body in the USA – the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges (NCASC).
This affiliation between Solusi College and Andrews University was a contractual agreement under which Andrews University undertook a continuing process of review of the Solusi College administration, teaching faculty, library and other physical facilities. Under the terms of the affiliation contract, Solusi College was obliged to underwrite all expenses related to the affiliation, and to maintain internationally accepted standards for its faculty and its academic policies, including adequate faculty, facilities, equipment, and appropriate admission standards and examination procedures.
For its part, Andrews University agreed to provide guidance in the development of new programmes, to monitor academic standards and examinations, to grant academic credit for all courses satisfactorily completed in approved Associate or Baccalaureate Degree programmes, and to confer its degrees upon the students who satisfactorily completed ALL degree requirements as specified by the faculty of Andrews University. The Registrar of Andrews University accepted the ongoing responsibility of issuing transcripts whenever required by the graduate, appropriately identifying the Solusi College campus as the location where the degree requirements were completed.
To attain Excellence in all aspects of University life
Solusi University exists to provide quality wholistic and transformational education based on the Seventh-day Adventist church philosophy of Education in order to equip students for useful service to God and the community, and to enjoy productive lives.
Candidates from Zimbabwe